The purpose of appliances of orthotic products during rehabilitation process is to correct musculoskeletal limitations and alleviate pain from trauma, illness, or surgery. The benefits of using orthotic products during rehabilitation process is to:
● Correct the shape and/or function of the body, to provide easier movement capability or reduce pain.
● Control, guide, limit and/or immobilize an extremity, joint or body segment for a particular reason.
● Restrict movement in a given direction
● Assist movement generally
● Reduce weight bearing forces for a particular purpose
● Aid rehabilitation from fractures after the removal of a cast
Patients who benefit from an orthosis may have a condition such as spina bifida or cerebral palsy, or have experienced a spinal cord injury or stroke. Equally, orthoses are sometimes used prophylactically or to optimise performance in sport